Crypto Bettor, known as ‘Ser Shokunin’ on Twitter has suffered a huge loss following UFC 293, as he placed $100k on Israel Adesanya to beat Sean Strickland.
UFC 293 saw one of the biggest upsets in the history of the sport, as dominant Middleweight champion, Israel Adesanya, lost to Sean Strickland via unanimous decision.
The Nigerian-New Zealand fighter has become one of the biggest stars of the sport, even earning a spot as the cover star on the company’s last two video games.
Going into the bout, Adesanya was picked to retain his title, with most betting sites pricing him as a -650 favourite.
However, in the opening round his opponent, Sean Strickland, shocked the fighting enthusiasts across the globe, as he dropped Adesanya with a textbook right hand.
From then onwards the champion was in trouble and Strickland put on a superb display for the remainder of the bout – earning himself the Middleweight title at his first attempt.
This news was shocking enough, however, as previously mentioned, Ser Shokunin revealed on Twitter that they had placed a $100k bet on Adesanya to retain his title.
— Ser Shokunin (@sershokunin) September 9, 2023
The return for the bet would have been around 28 thousand dollars, which highlights how much of an upset we saw at UFC 293.
Global superstar, Drake, who is notorious for his large sum bets, also saw a huge loss with his betting sponsor, Stake.
The Toronto born musician placed $500 thousand on Adesanya to win by KO, which would have returned over $900 thousand – however Strickland had other ideas.
A host of sports bettors would have seen a huge loss following the result last night, but it does set up a huge rematch between Adesanya and Strickland.
UFC 293 Results
- Sean Strickland def. Israel Adesanya via Unanimous Decision (49-46×3) – For the UFC Middleweight Championship
- Alexander Volkov def. Tai Tuivasa via Submission (Ezekial Choke): R2, 4:37
- Manel Kape def. Felipe dos Santos via Unanimous Decision (30-27, 29-28×2)
- Justin Tafa def. Austen Lane via TKO: R1, 1:22 Tyson Pedro def. Anton Turkalj via KO: R1, 2:12
- Carlos Ulberg def. Da Un Jung via Submission (Rear Naked Choke): R3, 4:49
- Chepe Mariscal def. Jack Jenkins via Verbal Submission (Arm Injury): R2, 3:19
- Jamie Mullarkey def. John Makdessi via Unanimous Decision (29-28×3)
- Nasrat Haqparast def. Landon Quiñones via Unanimous Decision (30-27×3)
- Charlie Radtke def. Blood Diamond via Unanimous Decision (29-27×3)
- Gabriel Miranda def. Shane Young via Submission (Neck Crank): R1, 0:59
- Kevin Jousset def. Kiefer Crosbie via Submission (Rear Naked Choke): R1, 4:49
- In Touch Games Licences Suspended By The British Gambling Commission And Betting & Gaming Council
- New All-Time Record Set As Nevada Gambling Revenue Hits $1.4 Billion In July
- International Esports Betting Company GGBet Set To Launch In The UK Market Imminently
- Lithuania Stand Firm On Decision To Propose Increased Gambling Licensing Fees
- Research, Education and Treatment Contributions to GambleAware From Operators Down 9% in Q1