Golfer Robert MacIntyre has revealed he was heckled by a losing gambler at the recent BMW Championship in Wentworth as similar incidents within the sport continue to rise.
Heckling from golf punters on the rise as MacIntyre becomes the next target in Wentworth
During the second round of the DP World Tour event, MacIntyre was the subject of an unpleasant exchange with a heckler in the crowd who had backed Justin Rose and Matt Fitzpatrick to outscore him in their three-ball.
The Scotsman said: “The crowds were unbelievable, even though I was getting a bit of stick there coming up 17.
“There’s obviously gambling going on in the game of golf nowadays and some people ride a lot of money on it – and, unfortunately, he lost today.”
When asked if the fan had directly told him he had bet against him, MacIntyre said: “Aye, he did – and he told me the amount he had riding on it.”
He expressed his concerns over the increased amount of heckling on the PGA Tour in recent times, which he has also spoken to world number three Jon Rahm about – and his caddie.
“It’s all about gambling nowadays and I said to Greg (MacIntyre’s caddie) walking to the 18th tee ‘be switched on as this guy could throw anything at us here so keep an eye on him and do your job.”
These incidents are on the rise within golf, most notably highlighted by two fans being ejected from the PGA Tour’s edition of the BMW Championship in August for shouting at Max Homa as he took a putt.
Before the Tour Championship, Rahm noted that it happens more often than people would think.
“I feel like we hear it every single round. That happens way more than you guys may hear. I mean, it’s very, very present.”
Related Gambling News
- Albanian Government’s Attempts To Reintroduce Online Gambling Met With Resistance
- Bet365 Expand Opta Deal With Stats Perform To Offer Player And Team Stats Across More Competitions
- Premier League Football Club Wolves Announce Record Partnership With LeoVegas As Official Training Kit Sponsor
- Gambling Harm Listed as an Associated Risk in Department of Health and Social Care’s Suicide Strategy
- Crypto Bettor Loses $100,000 Stake As Israel Adesanya Suffers Shock Defeat To Sean Strickland At UFC 293